Returning Expert Programme
Our country needs your help and support to become a high income nation by 2020. There’s no better time than now to return home. With initiatives like Returning Expert Programme (REP) in place, it is now easier than ever to plan your homecoming.
REP was launched to facilitate the return of Malaysian professionals from overseas with the objectives of overcoming the shortage of professional and technical expertise in the country, and creating a world-class workforce in Malaysia, especially in the context of the Economic Transformation Programme (ETP). The REP is constantly being improved to meet the needs of Malaysian expats. For example, as of 12 April 2011, a revised scheme of benefits for the REP was announced by the Prime Minister himself.
Am I Eligible?
You are eligible if you meet the following requirements.
- Malaysian citizen.
- Currently employed and residing overseas for the past 3 years prior to application.
- Internal transfer within the same group of companies is also allowed provided applicant has been based overseas for a minimum of five (5) years. A letter of support from the company stating that the applicant is under no obligation to return to Malaysia is required. The REP Committee’s discretion is required if prior overseas assignment is less than the minimum five (5) years.
- Does not hold an outstanding scholarship bond/ loan with the Malaysian Government or its agencies. A letter of confirmation stating that you are no longer bonded or have settled your loan is required in support of your application.
- Able to contribute to any of the National Key Economic Areas (NKEAs) in the Economic Transformation Programme (ETP).
- Possess the following academic qualifications and the corresponding cumulative overseas work experience.
*Discretion may be granted for specialised job skills/exceptional work experience needed by companies/industries
How to Apply
Applications can be made by the individual or by companies as part of their compensation package in engaging Malaysians abroad. There is currently no processing fee charged for applying to the REP. You can apply online here. Click to reveal a guide to help you through the application process.
REP Income Tax Rules 2012
Click here to access the Income Tax (Determination of Approved Individual and Specified Year of Assessment Under the Returning Expert Programme) Rules 2012
Read more about the REP, STAR and CFI from returning Malaysians.
Perlis-born Adam Azlan is one of the first to be involved with the STAR programme. He had known from a young age that he wanted to grow his talent for quantitative challenges and problem-solving materials into a successful career.
Toi See Jong is the Chief Executive Officer of Tokio Marine Life Insurance Malaysia Berhad. After spending 8 years abroad, his move back to Malaysia was motivated by his passion to contribute to the country’s development by sharing the expertise, skills and experience he gained during his time away.
Mohd Zaki Awang is a Senior Production Technologist at Talisman Malaysia Limited, a Canadian company which has a Production Sharing Agreement with Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS). He spent 3 years in Vietnam and 5 years in Saudi Arabia before returning home to Malaysia.
Born and raised in Kuching, Malaysia, Marianne Chuo is one of the first Public Service Department (JPA) scholars to be involved with the Scholarship Talent Attraction and Retention (STAR) programme.